Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Not Sorry

“Oh, I’m so sor…”

Krista, a high school English teacher, paused for a moment then restarted her sentence.

“Wow, this is big. I mean huge,” she said, speaking of the news of my husband’s deployment.

“Thanks,” I said.

“For what?”

“For not saying you’re sorry.”

“Well, I am not sorry. Are you?” she asked.

Sorry is for tragic events, like death, disease, or adultery.

I am not sorry I married a man who is willing to risk his livelihood, leave his family and put his life on the line for his country.

I am not sorry that we live in a country where the government not only concerns itself with the safety and well-being of its citizens, but desires the freedom and safety of those oppressed and terrorized.

It’s hard. I am sad. I struggle.
But I am not sorry.

No comments: